ECITB Abrasive Wheels – AW02
This half day training course is aimed at anyone who selects, mounts or uses abrasive wheels. The course covers different types of abrasive wheel, diamond blades, pre-use inspection to wheels and tools, hazards, correct PPE, fire control, regulations, correct cutting/grinding techniques and correct selection of wheels.
Half Day Course
- An overview of the HSWA 1974 and how it effects the planning of work with abrasive wheels
- What are the duties of care placed on employers by PUWER 1998
- What are the responsibilities placed on employees by PUWER 1998
- The common causes of accidents with abrasive wheels
- The common causes of burst wheels
- The markings found on abrasive wheels
- The markings found on angle grinders and petrol cutting tools
- The British marking system that is found on abrasive wheels and how it can be used when ordering new wheels
- Eye protection what is the best type and why it is needed
- Hearing protection why it is needed and what style is recommended
- Dust masks why they are needed and what type is recommended
- What other PPE is required when using abrasive wheels?
- The effects on the human respiratory system of RSA Silica and how dust suppression systems can be effective in preventing long term damage
- What precautions are recommended when using abrasive wheels to prevent fires
- The safe use of abrasive wheels in confined spaces
- What are the dangers of HAV when using abrasive wheels and how it can be controlled?
- What is the difference between old style abrasive wheels and diamond cutting disks?
- How to avoid blade core failure with diamond cutting disks
- Daily checks needed on diamond, abrasive and all tools to ensure safe use
- 10 question multiple choice test
- Practical Content:
- Each candidate will have to select the most appropriate cutting wheel for the task given form the wheels provided
- Each candidate will have to correctly mount their chosen wheel onto the wheel
- Each candidate will have to perform a before use inspection on both the wheel and the tool
- Each candidate will have to use the grinding wheel using the safe system of work given by the instructor